Thursday, March 20, 2014

Open Source: Mozilla

Lastly, we're going to look at the internet browser, Mozilla, as our last open source program.

I'll start out by saying that, overall, I absolutely love Mozilla as an internet browser. I realize this is opposite of the majority of people I know who are tech savy, but I'm just starting on the software journey, so I'll stick to what looks/works nicely until I learn more. :) In the past, I've used Mozilla on Air Force computers, but it doesn't seem to support all the functions we need to use on base. At home, though, I see no reason not to use it as a substitute for other browsers, such as Google Chrome.

When comparing it to other browsers, I find it most similar to the aforementioned Google Chrome. Now realize, Chrome is my preferred browser due to its usability and customization. It may be little, but I love being able to set a personalized theme to my browser and have it remember it from one computer to another due to it being connected to my google account. Mozilla doesn't have this option, from what I can tell, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have other amiable qualities. When you first download Mozilla, a video loads that goes into the seemingly selfless idea that its creators run on. Quality over profit is something almost no one can argue with a company over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment