Thursday, March 20, 2014

Open Source: LibreOffice

Hello!

First, I will look at the open source software, LibreOffice.

Maybe it's because I am so used to Microsoft Office, but it seems like LibreOffice has an user interface that is extremely hard to use and lacks a lot of key options. When it first opens, there is a short list of database types you can choose from. Once you select one, there is an option to just open a blank document or you can choose to use the "Wizard" to help you set up what you are trying to do. Both options work well, but I wish there was more labeling involved, rather than a bunch of pictures and tool bars you have to scroll through to find what you want.

Now, if I were to compare and contrast it to Microsoft Office, I would say Microsoft wins hands down. While I like that LibreOffice has a "Wizard" to run you through your project, I feel the program as a whole is just not as user friendly. Its look isn't appealing or sleek, which I believe is important these days, especially for those of us not as familiar with the behind-the-scenes of software. 

No comments:

Post a Comment